Are you looking for a way to attract nature to your garden? A bird table is a great way to do this, pop a few little bird seeds and treats on there and they’ll be flocking to it in no time.
By introducing a bird table to your garden you are more than likely to see a big increase in the wildlife that visits your garden.
Not only is this beneficial to the birds but it can also be very relaxing to spend some time watching the different species as they come and go.
If this sounds like an exciting prospect to you then we have selected the best bird tables on the market and reviewed them all for you below.
We have also included a buyers guide so that you can be sure that you are choosing the right one for your garden.
If you are in a hurry, we have chosen our top pick for you below.
In a hurry? This is our winner!
- Multiple Feeding Platforms with Built in Drainage Gullies
- Includes 4 x Ground Anchors to Secure Footing
- Made in Great Britain from Sustainable Forests - 2 Trees Planted for Every 1 Cut Down
Best Bird Table – Comparison Table
Best Bird Table – Reviews
The Hutch Company Fordwich Green Deluxe Bird Table
For our top pick we have selected the The Hutch Company XL Ballycastle bird table. Hand made in the UK it projects a simple yet sturdy design that will be a great addition to any garden.
With several birds visiting the table at once of course disease can be a slight issue, purchasing this bird table eliminates that worry as it is constructed with twin treated Anti-Bacterial Marcide Coated wood.
Therefore disease would not spread via this bird table.
It has a decent-sized feeding table suitable for several birds. This way you won’t find yourself witnessing any bird fights when a couple pay a visit at once.
A great thing about this bird table is that it has been constructed with wood from sustainable forests and two new trees are planted every time one is chopped down.
By purchasing this bird table you know that you’re not only helping to introduce nature to your garden, but you’re helping the environment too.
- It has a twist feet design for more stability.
- With antibacterial coated wood there isn’t a risk of diseases spreading.
- It comes equipped with clear and easy to understand instructions and the bird table itself is nice and easy to assemble.
- It is hand made and sturdily designed so it is more than likely to last for a long time.
- It is suitable for large and small birds thanks to the spacious feeding space.
- It’s not the tallest so this may be an issue if you have cats coming into your garden regularly.
Riverside Woodcraft Triple Platform Bird Table With Anti Bacteria Coating
Next up we have chosen this triple platform bird table from the brand Riverside Woodcraft which has been made here in the UK itself.
The antifungal and antibacterial color-rich coating helps to stop diseases from spreading and helps to prevent any unwanted fungal growth developing on your bird table.
Designed with an improved base it is going to be strong enough to withstand the harsh wind and its durable design ensures that it is going to last a while before deteriorating in quality.
A nice design feature of this bird table is that it has the main feeding table at the top and then two additional side tables which are great for catering to large and small birds at once without them all trying to fit into one small space.
- At just under 6 feet tall it is an ideal height for a bird table.
- The main feeding table and two additional side tables are great for several birds at once.
- The heavy-duty post ensures that it is going to be able to withstand strong winds without breaking.
- It is constructed with very good quality wood.
- It is pricier than some other bird tables that are available on the market.
- It is a little difficult to put together which some people may find inconvenient.
The Hutch Company Bath Universal Feather Edge Bird Table
If you are hoping to bring some smaller rare species of birds to your garden then this Hutch Company Deluxe Bath Bird Table is the perfect option for you.
The enclosed design is specifically intended to avoid any cats being able to climb and disrupt the birds, but also larger species of birds like pigeons will have difficulty accessing this bird table.
Handbuilt in the UK using low carbon FSC timber you are investing in a sustainable bird table.
With this product, you can either choose to keep it at its standard height or there is also a 6ft extension that enables you to make it taller.
With this extension there are additional side feeding trays so that more birds can feed at the table.
- This is great for attracting smaller species of birds to your garden.
- Coming pre-assembled in two separate parts it is easy to put together.
- The feeding surface itself is large so several birds can visit at once.
- It is sturdily designed to withstand strong winds and rain.
- It is a very good quality bird table.
- This bird table is a little pricey and if you require the extension pole this is an additional purchase.
- There is a large entrance so some bigger birds may be able to get in. To avoid this it is recommended that you attach another small piece of wood to make this entrance smaller.
UBT - Urban Bird Table
Next up we have this unique designed Urban Bird Table. Made with highly durable synthetic resin it is going to last for a long time without discoloring, rusting, or deteriorating in quality.
The simple and smooth structure not only makes it very easy to clean but it’s hygienic too as dirt is less likely to stick and diseases are less likely to remain on the surface. It can easily be cleaned regularly simply using a wipe.
Unlike traditional bird tables, this product comes with a mounting bracket so it can be secured onto fences, etc.
This ensures that it isn’t going to get damaged in bad weather as long as it is attached to a strong base or fence post.
The drainage holes are great because they prevent the feeding surface from holding water. As an open-topped feeding table this is most likely to occur following bad weather but these holes ensure that the bird table is never waterlogged.
- It is very easy to mount the bracket to the tray so assembling this product is simple.
- This is a decent size and can hold many birds at one time.
- The design makes it hygienic and very easy to clean.
- This bird table is very affordable.
- As well as a decent-sized feeding table there are additional hooks to hang feeders and treats onto.
- It isn’t as substantially constructed as some other bird tables available and may be more likely to bend in strong weather, or if too many feeders are attached at once.
PawHut Wooden Bird Feeder Table Freestanding for Garden Backyard Outside Decorative Pre-cut Weather Resistant Roof 49 x 45 x 139 cm Natural
For our next choice we have chosen this wooden bird table by Pawhut. This quadrilateral free-standing bird feeder is going to be a great addition to your garden.
With Asphalt shingles roofing and good quality wooden construction it is going to be waterproof and durable even in bad weather conditions.
With a solid 3 legged base it is going to be strong and sturdy without the fear of it falling over.
The enclosed but spacious feeding area is great for the birds to access and included is also a lower dish plate.
This is great for attracting many birds at once and you can also vary the treats that you put onto each feeding surface.
- It comes in two sizes, medium or large so you can choose the best one to fit into your garden space.
- The spaced-out legs give this bird table added strength in the wind and rain preventing it from blowing over easily.
- It is solidly built out of durable wood and asphalt shingles.
- It is good value for money.
- It isn’t the easiest to assemble.
- Due to its structure it can be a little difficult to clean.
Wildlife World Bempton Bird Table, KBEBT
Finally we have chosen the Wildlife World Bempton Bird Table. The design differs from our previous picks as this one is intended for hanging use from trees etc.
With a sturdy timber construction this is a solid item that can be left outside for the year, without suffering extensive damage from the bad weather.
The compact design makes it easy to clean and maintain as the base can be slid in and out to place the feed on. This can also be taken out easily when it comes to cleaning the bird table.
If you wish to attract smaller species of birds to your garden this is the perfect way to do so as its neat design only allows the smaller birds to feed on it.
Constructed with FSC certified wood this product has been sourced with wood from responsibly managed and environmentally conscious forests.
- Very little assembly is required, this table simply needs to be hung from a tree or a fixed post.
- It is perfect for smaller species of birds as the compact size makes it difficult for large birds to get in.
- It is made with FSC certified wood.
- Maintenance and cleaning are very easy as there aren’t a lot of individual parts that require cleaning.
- It is good quality and very pleasing to look at.
- As the sliding feed tray doesn’t have sides it can be a little difficult to put back in when it has seeds on it.
- The string that it comes with is prone to breaking so this may need to be changed after some time.
Best Bird Table – Buyer’s Guide
A good bird table will need to conform to several specifications to ensure that it is suitable for the birds that may visit your garden. We have listed each of these below so you are fully equipped with all of the knowledge that you need to find the best bird table for your garden.
When it comes to the size of the bird table you will want one that is going to be suitable for more than one bird at a time. Purchasing a bird table that is too small is going to increase the likeliness of fighting so preferably the bigger the better.
The feeding area should be around 3-4 square feet.
Almost all bird tables tend to be designed using wood although some may incorporate plastic elements too. Metal bird tables are also beginning to increase in popularity. Despite wood being the more traditional and common bird tables available, you may find a plastic or metal one a worthy investment as it is going to be considerably easier to clean.
Whatever material you choose, ensure that it is durably constructed so it isn’t going to deteriorate after exposure to bad weather. It’s also important to ensure that all of the edges and surfaces are smooth so that the bird’s feet don’t get caught.
When you introduce a bird table to your garden you can expect to see many different species of birds visiting regularly. If you don’t want larger birds visiting then a look in feature is ideal as it makes it difficult for large birds to access.
Enclosed bird tables in particular are going to be ideal for attracting smaller species and reducing the number of large birds that you see on the table. This is because it is much more difficult for large birds like pigeons to access a bird table if it is more enclosed.
On the other hand if you would like your bird table to appeal to large birds then an open-topped table is the best option.
Most bird tables follow a similar traditional design which tends to be a basic platform that also acts as the feeding table in most cases, with edges and sometimes a roof.
The majority tend to come on a raised post that needs to be inserted or placed onto the ground in your garden, you may find some that can be hung from trees or posts, etc.
Safety from other animals
Likely, many people often have cats and squirrels visiting their gardens. If this is the case then you will want a bird table with a pretty long post that is also straight and smooth as this makes it a lot more difficult for cats and squirrels to grip and climb up.
As mentioned above your bird table is more than likely to come into a lot of contact with harsh weather such as wind and rain. It is important to ensure that you purchase a bird table that is strong enough to endure these weather conditions without impacting its quality and function. A poorly designed bird table may deteriorate after frequent exposure to adverse weather.
Easy to Assemble
When it comes to putting your bird table together you preferably want one that isn’t going to take you hours to assemble. Some that we have mentioned above come pre-assembled in two parts so they simply need to be attached.
Others may come fully assembled and just need to be attached to a stable base. This factor is worth paying attention to because if you are someone who doesn’t enjoy assembling items then this may influence which bird table you purchase.
Hygiene and Cleaning
With many birds visiting the same surface at one time the bird table is likely to become dirty quickly but they may also bring disease with them. A bird table that is easy to clean is going to make it a lot more hygienic and easier to maintain.
Frequently Asked Questions
At what height should I put my bird table?
Ideally you want your bird table to be around 4-6 feet off the ground. Whilst standing out to the birds above it makes it harder for any potential dangers from the ground below to access the bird table. At this height, likely, you will still be able to view the birds as they visit too.
Of course, it is important to bear in mind that the height in which you position your bird table needs to be suitable for the person who is responsible for cleaning it and replenishing the food supplies.
What can I put on a bird table?
You can put many different things on your bird table as long as they are safe for the birds to consume.
Many people often put leftover household scraps such as breadcrumbs and pastry, fruit is also suitable and of course bird food too. This may include seeds or live food such as worms.
Where should I put my bird table in my garden?
Your bird table should be positioned in a sheltered area of your garden so that it isn’t exposed to too much sun or wind. If you have any bushes in your garden then placing the bird table near this allows the birds to check if it is safe to visit the table before doing so.