Are you struggling with your sleep during the night? This may be a reckoning alarm that you need to change your mattress. According to the research done by Sleep Council, the minimum number of years that you should use a mattress is seven years.
Waking up with aches, pains or stiffness calls for a change of your old mattress.
Traditionally, spring mattresses were common in most households. With time, came the new generation of the bed in a box type of mattresses made of latex, foam, or a mixture of the two also known as a hybrid mattress.
Mostly asked questions (FAQ’s)
How do I know which mattress is the best?
When you walk into a shop or view a mattress on online selling platforms, do not just settle for the one that seems comfortable to you.
To get the best, sample a number of them and research on their reviews. Secondly, do a comparison of all based on comfort, cost, and other elements.
Lastly, make a choice if you have gathered all the necessary points. By following this step by step strategy, you will be destined for the best.
Can mattresses fit on an old bed base?
Some mattresses can fit on your old bed base while others cannot. Before purchasing a new mattress, consider first if it can really fit on your current bed base.
A mattress should fit well on the surface on which it is placed on to get the maximum comfort.
After how long should I change my mattress?
It is usually recommended that you change your mattress every seven years. This is according to the Sleep Council.
However, if you experience stiffness and aches which you were not feeling before when you wake up, it advisable that you change the current mattress you are using. Do not wait until the mattress is completely worn out for you to replace it.
Types of Mattresses
Before you purchase a mattress you should think of the different types available in the market do a comparison and make a choice. Your sleep comfort is highly dependent on what you lay your body on.
With the many types of mattresses in the market, it is important to have some knowledge of each of them. This will give you an idea of what you are going to buy. Below is an overview of different types of mattresses you can choose from.
Memory foam mattress
The memory foam mattress is made from a viscoelastic substance. It is soft and highly absorbs energy. It is responsive to heat and pressure applied to it thus distributing body weight evenly.
Sleeping on memory foam makes you feel like you are supported by billions of springs. This is the only mattress that can reduce too much pressure i.e. about 80%.
If you are a toss and turn sleeper or in case you share a bed with one, this brand will come in handy. Memory foam mattresses are very affordable and you can purchase one at a price at an inexpensive price.
Hybrid mattress, as the name suggests, is designed to give you an experience of two or more materials combined in a single design. For example, the mattress can combine the features of a foam mattress and an innerspring mattress.
Such combination will give you the pressure-relieving feature of the foam mattress as well as the exceptional motion isolation feature of the innerspring make.
This is the only mattress that will enable you to enjoy the benefits of two different worlds in one world.
The definition of this brand is derived from its name. Water bed mattresses contain water. Its firmness can be adjusted by releasing excess water or pumping in more water.
It depends on how firm you want the bed to be, but be careful not to pump in too much water not as to cause a flood. Waterbeds can support the body evenly and their body surface pressure stands at a minimum level.
The mattress can retain its firmness regardless of body weight. The outstanding feature about this make is that regardless of how long you use it, the quality of your sleep will never be affected.
However, waterbeds are not recommended for people prone to seasickness. This is because depending on your sleeping movements, the bed moves in response.
Air mattress, also known as an airbed or blow up bed, is an inflatable bed. The structure of the mattress is made of separate cells. Air circulates through these cells at varying intervals making them inflate and deflate at intervals.
The inflation and deflation help relieve body pressure every few minutes. The majority of air mattresses are made of reinforced urethane plastic, PVC, rubber, or polyvinyl chloride.
Though the mattress may make some noise caused by the pump, it doesn’t mean that your sleep is interfered with. Actually, you may find the slight noise quite soothing.
Just like waterbeds, the firmness of this can be regulated. This is done by either pumping or releasing some air. Air mattresses are suitable for camping, temporary home use, or full-time permanent use.
In general, air mattresses are comfortable, suitable for people with back pains, and they are economical and durable.
However, they have a hectic assembly process and the replacement of the pump can be a problem. The durability of the product, if not defined, may result in losing air at some point.
Also known as rubber foam mattresses, latex mattresses are made of foamed rubber particles block. The rubber may be either synthetic or natural origin or a combination of the two.
For natural latex beds, 80% of natural latex is used. The latex is added with synthetic additives in order to help process the rubber to latex for elasticity.
These beds are resistant to dust mite and hypoallergenic and they are appropriate for people with skin allergies and irritations. The health benefits of latex mattresses are limited, as they contain synthetic latex.
They come in different makes including; offset coils, bonnell coils, individually wrapped coils, and continuous coils. The mattress is made up of steel coil as its support system.
What makes the difference in the different types of innerspring mattresses is the coil gauge, number of coils, springs shapes, and designs. They are heavy as compared to foam mattresses.
The quality of the mattress depends on the number of coils in it. A minimum of 150 coils is the best.
What factors should you consider when buying a mattress?
Having in mind the different mattress brands you can find in the market, the next question should be ‘what do I have to consider before I make my final choice?’ Here are several factors you have to consider.
Your personal conditions
Personal circumstances are a special consideration. Do you have backaches? Do you sweat so much at night? Or do you sleep with a partner? What is your sleeping style?
There is a special mattress designed to meet your personal circumstances. Talk to your seller who can advise you on the one that best suits your needs.
The firmness of the mattress
The comfort of the mattress is determined by its firmness. A good mattress should give you the rest that you need. Only you can determine the firmness of your choice.
The core of the mattress
Mattress core can either be latex, feathers, foam, gel, or a combination of two or three of these. The core materials have differing properties.
The materials are vital in determining the firmness of the mattress and its comfort. It all depends on the comfort that you need and your special needs for the mattress.
Your bed base
Additional support for your mattress is very essential. Though some sellers will advise you to place the mattress directly on the floor, I think this is not a good idea.
Doing this may cause damage to the mattress reducing its life span. Also, remember that not all mattresses can fit in any bed base. Go for the one than can fit unto your bed base well.
5 Best Hybrid Mattresses 2019
- TOP RATED AND AWARD-WINNING. You’re in safe hands; Simba mattresses have earned over 230,000 five-star reviews, a T3 Best Buy award, and are recommended by Good Housekeeping Institute and Ideal Home.
- ENGINEERED FOR THE BEST NIGHT’S SLEEP. Our ingenious, patented Aerocoil springs offer you the best support and temperature control as you sleep. This EU Queen Hybrid mattress has 2,500 of these sleeping beauties, but they’re ultra-fine and tiny, so even though they react to your every move, you won’t feel a thing; they also help to increase airflow through your mattress as they gently compress and release.
- FIVE LAYERS OF COMFORT. You don’t need to choose between springs and foam; our unique combination of Aerocoil micro springs and Simbatex foam offers cool but cosy comfort and support to all types of sleeper.
This is an upgrade of the Simba original mattress. Its structure consists of a 16cm of foam core, 3cm of a memory core and 4cm of 2,500 micro pocket springs.
It is the best brand for side sleepers and people that sweat a lot at night as it is known for keeping sweat at a bay.
Simba Mattress is durable and long-lasting so you do not have to change it for years.
The outstanding feature of this mattress is its edge to edge support ensuring that you are comfortable even when sleeping at the edge of the mattress. To add to its comfort, use bed linen and bedding too.
- Offers edge to edge support
- Best brand for side sleepers
- Keeps sweat at a bay
- Simba mattress does not come with handles
- AWARD-WINNING HYBRID MATTRESSES – All our products offer ultimate support, outstanding quality, and highly competitive pricing. Once you try your new OTTY Original Luxury Hybrid Mattress you will see just why we are so highly sought after.
- SUPPORTIVE POCKET SPRING TECHNOLOGY – All our mattresses come with up to 2000 Encapsulated 16cm Pocket Springs, which are the longest and most supportive on the UK Bed in a Box Market. The individually encapsulated springs minimise motion transfer to ensure a perfect night’s sleep, every night.s set by the governing body. The advanced technology comes in tiny perforations that allow airflow right through the hybrid mattress where other foams can cause overheating. The cavity space created around the springs also acts like a bellow which aids temperature regulation.
- TEMPERATURE REGULATING AIR FLOW SYSTEM – Our high-quality mattresses use CentiPUR and Europur approved memory foam. The Heat Regulating AirFlow Technology means perforations allow air to circulate through the mattress which aids temperature regulation and prevents overheating at night.
With this firm mattress, you can easily feel your body adapt to the movements as you sleep. It offers your spine the best support and suitable for you if you sleep on your back.
The cool blue gel at the top layer of the mattress helps in controlling the body temperature.
The spring layer and the foam layer of the Otty mattress add to its long life span with no sagging and softening for years. You can use it for the first 6 months without rotating it.
- It is firm.
- It can regulate body temperature.
- Prevents back pain and aches
- Not suitable for turn and toss sleepers.
- It may take longer to get used to sleeping on this mattress
Inofia King Mattress
- ✿ Ideal Sleeping Companion ✿--A Mattress is an Intimate choice, with the indulgent comfort of our LegenComfort memory foam and the extraordinary support of innovative pocket coils, The Legendary Collection is the perfect combination -Just for once in your life, you'd like to sleep until you woke up natural with Inofia
- ✿Extraordinary Pocket Coil Technology✿--Provide greatest durability while delivering pressure relief ,motion separation for less partner disturbance and back support. Unique Zoned Coil Support adapts and supports each unique body greatly. Adapts to anybody for the perfect level of support.
- ✿LegenComfort Memory Foam✿--It aids the LegenComfort memory foam to conform to your body so your bones and joints sink into softness instead of feel their own weight against a surface. providing you with more sleep space, as well as absorbing movement from your partner so that you don't roll together. No roll-together for less partner disturbance.
The Inofia King Mattress is a hybrid mattress that has great comfort and an impressive pocket coil technology. If you are looking for this type of bed, search no more.
You are guaranteed of the most comfortable, durable, breathable and adjustable mattress.
Below is a quick review, key features, pros and cons of using this mattress.
Maximum comfort is guaranteed the very moment you choose to purchase this mattress.
The fabric used is durable enough to withstand more years of partners sharing the bed.
It releases moisture depending on the climatic condition of the day.
It does not add pain to your back pains but rather soothes them for a perfect sleep.
Two major Key features are Innovative pocket coils and its Climate Regulating Cover.
Although the mattress comes in a heavy package, it gives you the dream comfort you have been longing to have. I highly recommend it especially to people with back pains and people who share a bed. I give it a 5-star rating.
- Memory Foam Spring
- Six layers for maximum comfort
- Anti-mite cover
- Stretch –knit fabric
- Bouncy foam
- Dual transition layers
- Handles for easy lifting
- Small box for an easy set-up
- Maximum comfort
- Extra-ordinary pocket coil technology
- Releases moisture
- Pressure relief
- Absorb movement from your partner to avoid rolling together
- Adapts and supports each body part
- Wrapped in a heavy box and thick plastic packaging
- It is soft at the edges
Dormeo Memory Plus Mattress
- Our multi-award winning "Which Best Buy" mattress with a carbon fibre enriched cover that creates an anti-static barrier against dust particles in the air, ensuring a hygienic sleep surface
- 3cm of luxuriously thick memory foam plus 14 cm of breathable Ecocell foam create a brilliantly balanced, supportive and ventilated sleep experience
- Special anti-bacterial, anti-dust mite and anti-fungal properties through Sanitized protection on the mattress cover creates a healthy and hygienic environment
Dormeo Memory Plus Mattress is lighter and smaller than most of the hybrid mattresses. The make is suitable for small children and people with average weight and light people.
It has a high breathability thanks to the eco cell layer. It is also able to absorb excess sweat due to the foam layer that covers the top of the underneath two layers.
Your partner can rollover the bed without you feeling it. Dormeo Memory Plus Mattress offers fungal, bacteria and dust and mite protection.
- Good for turn and toss sleepers.
- It has high breathability.
- It has a high degree of sweat absorbency.
- It is suitable for lightweight only.
REM-Fit 500 Ortho Mattresses
- AWARD-WINNING - Which? Best Buy, REM-Fit 500 Ortho is a next-generation orthopaedic mattress.
- SIX LAYERS OF COMFORT - Six unique layers of comfort providing unrivalled orthopaedic support, temperature control and supreme comfort! Trial For 100-Nights.
- 100-NIGHT TRIAL - 100% full refund - no catches and completely risk free. 100% of our returned mattresses are donated to the British Heart Foundation.
The simplest way to explain this 500 Ortho Mattresses from the REM-Fit company is meticulously comfortable.
If you are looking for a hybrid mattress that is a bit soft but will give you the sinking feeling of a foam mattress, this is what you need to go for.
One thing I like about this mattress is its exceptional motion isolation feature. It is able to isolate any motion transfer from all sides of the bed.
In case you share a bed with a turn and toss partner or you are one, 500 Ortho Mattresses will not disappoint you.
- It has exceptional motion isolation.
- It is able to isolate any motion transfer from all sides of the bed.
- Good for turn and toss sleepers.
The overview above gives an insight of all you need to know when purchasing a new mattress that can offer you the much comfort that you need.
The list hybrid mattresses are not the only available best mattresses in the market. You have a wider variety to choose from. Go through the features of all the mattresses in your list and make a comparison. Good luck with your next purchase!