The best ironing board cover protects the board from the heat. It also preserves the quality and doesn’t let the stains and fabric stick to it. Furthermore, it doesn’t let your clothes slip or move during the ironing process and keep them wrinkle-free.
Without an ironing board cover, you can ruin your clothes. Since they can stick to the board or absorb extraordinary heat that can destroy their material.
Besides, if you have an expensive iron board, you always want to preserve the quality.
The ironing board cover not only preserves the main surface of the board but also minimizes the wear and tear of it. Therefore, you should always think about investing your money on it.
|Product||Best For||Our Ratings||Price|
|LaundrySpecialist||OEKO-TEX Certified||9.8||View on Amazon|
|Home-it||Scorch Resistant||9.5||View on Amazon|
|Encasa||Extra Thick Padding||9.7||View on Amazon|
|Saphare||Budget Product||9.2||View on Amazon|
Ironing Board Cover – Buying Guide
Whether you have been ironing for 20 years or just started it, buying an ironing board cover is always a tough task.
There are tons of different covers to choose from. However, after going through this guide, you will be able to pick the best cover for your needs.
Type of Ironing Board
This is the first and the most important thing you must keep in mind before investing in an ironing board cover, since they are available in different sizes and models, such as:
- Freestanding Model
- Compact Table Board
- Wall Built-In Board
Some people use the ironing pad also. It is another kind of surface that is designed with magnets and provides a convenient place to iron. It is often used by those who have limited storage.
Next, you have to get the dimensions by measuring it.
Once you know the dimensions of your board, you can decide between a standard size and extra-large size, especially if you are buying the cover online. After comprehending your board type and size, it will become easier for you to shortlist the covers and buy the best one.
No one wants their cloth to slip and move around during the ironing process.
An anti-slip design remains in its place for a longer period. You can iron at a frantic pace without setting the fabric on the board again and again.
This design also has a securing mechanism like the Velcro straps and the elastic edges that keep the cover in its place irrespective of the pace at which you are ironing.
In a non-slip design, the material of the cover matters too.
The best material you can opt for is unbleached organic cotton and Teflon. They are thicker, durable, and washable. There is usually a repellant layer underneath them that makes them water and stain resistant also.
A metallic non-slip design and material are also quite popular. It is known as a ‘Heat Reflection Material’ that reflects the heat to the fabric and speeds up the ironing process.
Avoid Asbestos Material
Many online retailers are attempting to promote covers which are made of asbestos.
The reason why people often love to invest their money on this cover is it is considered a fire-resistance and durable product. However, recent studies show that this material is linked to diseases that make it obsolete dangerous.
Besides, it can’t be disposed of like other fabrics. It is pertinent to take it to the specified disposal sites for hazardous materials. Only experts can dispose of it safely.
Don’t choose asbestos even if it is covered with a heavy felt lining.
Some developers add the padding to create the buffer between your garment and asbestos and claim that the board cover doesn’t contain the dangerous chemicals.
This isn’t true at al. This kind of cover is still as dangerous as the pure asbestos cover.
Look For The Accessories
Do you know some ironing board covers come with some accessories?
The more the number of accessories the company is offering with their cover, the more versatile your ironing board can be. Therefore, it is always better to pick the whole package rather than investing separately in the accessories.
The accessories of the ironing board cover include:
- Carry Bag: It is lightweight and protects the cover and other accessories. The carry bags you buy for the ironing board covers are often breathable, but not water-proof.
- Iron Resting Pad: These pads are mostly silicone-based. The silicone properties of the pad protect the surface of the board and transfer minimal heat to its surface. There are some heavy-duty stands also that can be adjusted to the right height but they don’t come in the packages. You have to buy them separately and they are expensive as well.
- Hangers: Yes, we are talking about suit hangers, but some hangers are different and wall-mounted. They work as the resting pads and iron holder.
If anyone of these accessories is included in the package, it is a definite advantage for you.
Top 4 Best Ironing Board Covers UK
Here is the selection of the best ironing board covers.
All these below covers are designed by reputed manufacturers. You can choose any size you need after measuring your board wisely.
Also, it is up to you to decide whether you want to go with a solid color or colorful design and texture. You only need to make sure it is matching the base of the board.
Ironing Board Cover – LaundrySpecialist (The Best Overall)
- No more waterdrops below your ironing board due to Active- technology
- Saves time up till 50%!
- Extra thick ironing board cover with 5 layers
With a 3mm foam layer thickness and 100% cotton, LaundrySpecialist is winning the overall game. It feels like quality and stays on well all the time.
Though, bear in mind, this cover is designed for large and extra-large boards. If you own an extra-large ironing board, this will be a perfect fit.
Its pull strings will cover the board perfectly. Due to the flexibility of this cover, you can pull the strings tightly to make it more taut fit.
The best thing about this product is it is OEKO-TEX Certified.
This means its fabric is safe for human. You don’t have to worry about the chemicals as it is produced according to the strict guidelines of the government.
Things We Liked
- It is perfect for large and extra-large boards.
- It has an extra thick 3-mm foam layer.
- It is OEKO-TEX Certified.
- It is made in Europe.
- The pull strings make it more flexible.
Things We Didn’t Like
- It is not for small boards.
- It is not machine-washable, however, hand-wash is possible.
Padded Ironing Board Cover -Home-it (Best For Scorch Resistance)
- Stain resistant Stretch cord adjustable fit
- iron board cover and pad Fits snuggly iron board cover Scorch resistant
- IRON BOARD IS NOT INCLUDED
Ironing is super easy on this Home-it ironing board cover.
Since it is designed for your premium clothes. The professional manufacturers of Home-it ensured they are creating a product which is scorch-resistant and heat-reflective – several company tests have shown that if it gets overheated, it won’t burn your clothes easily.
This is designed to fit all standards and large ironing boards. All you need is to place the cover on top, pull the strings and secure it with toggle.
Although it is designed for the standard sized board, it doesn’t mean you have to compromise on the size. It covers all the edges well and doesn’t slip either. Furthermore, it comes in a range of funky pattern that assists you in redecorating your tired-looking boards at once.
Things We Liked
- It fits all the standard and large boards (from 120cm to 135cm).
- It is washable
- The extra great, thick padding makes it durable.
- It is a 100% cotton cover with a smooth feeling.
- It is a scorch-resistant and heat-reflective product.
Things We Didn’t Like
- It only has 2 patterns to choose from.
- It is not for large-sized ironing boards.
Adjustable Board Cover – Encasa Homes (Extra Thick Padding)
- EASY TO FIT: The ironing board cover is suitable for boards of size 122-127 cms in Length, and 37-42 cms in Width. The cover will fit perfectly if your length and width fall within these dimensions
- BETTER IRONING EXPERIENCE: Encasa's printed ironing board covers can be fitted with an elastic bungee cord. It consists of 100% cotton fabric and a 4 mm felt. Get a creaseless fit as you tighten the cover around the board, giving you a wrinkle-free finish to your clothes
- TOLERATES HIGH TEMPERATURE: Heavy duty ironing board cover tolerates the high ironing temperatures up to 220° C. With the Scorch Resistant finish, you can rest assured that the thick ironing board cover won't discolor easily under excess heat
This is another product from Encasa Homes with extra thick padding.
Due to its extra-thick padding, it is thicker than most and has exceptional quality.
But we feel people who are into boosting the décor and desire to have something unique in their home which can capture the attention of the guests and compel them to flood it with compliments should opt for this product.
It has very impressive pattern designs, such as Multistripe, Autumn Leaf, and Bright Stripes. You can choose any pattern you want. All of them are easy to install and can be well-locked with toggle.
You don’t need to be worried about the slipping either, as it is 100% cotton and a non-slip product, and doesn’t leave the edges exposed. It covers and fit the entire board rather well.
Things We Liked
- 100% cotton with extra thick padding.
- It has a scorch resistant coating.
- It gives a secure and non-slip fit.
- It comes with 3 different pretty patterns.
- It is large for a wide range of boards.
Things We Didn’t Like
- You cannot bleach or dry clean it.
- You cannot tumble dry either.
Saphare Pattern Cover – 100% Cotton (Best Budget Cover)
- 100% Cotton 140g/m²
- Light 3mm foam padding
- Fits boards 120-144cm long(48"-57.5") and 30-44cm wide(12"-17.5")
If we say it is mostly desired for steam presses mainly, it would be correct.
It is 250C heat-resistance and gives you great ironing experience. The length of this cover is fine and perfect for large-sized boards.
The only downside we see in this product is the width. If the width of your board is more than normal, it won’t grip it properly especially under the edges. You must pull it super tight though to cover the edges.
It also has a 100% high-performance cotton. It doesn’t trap heat under the covers and facilitates it in becoming a heat-resistant.
Moreover, it plays a dual role. Apart from resisting the heat, it absorbs the moisture, and during the ironing process, it makes your clothes breathable.
Things We Liked
- It comes in different patterns like Moroccan Clover, Feather, Triangles, Butterflies, Stars, etc.
- It is 100% cotton.
- It is 250C heat-resistant and doesn’t trap the heat under covers.
- You can easily secure it with drawstring and toggle.
- It covers large-sized boards.
Things We Didn’t Like
- It is extra-large in length, but the width isn’t good.
- It has a thin layer of foam.
Ironing Board Cover – FAQs
Getting the ironing board cover and setting it up is surprisingly difficult for some people since they have some specific questions in mind that are hard to find in the product’s description.
Below you will find the answers for your baffling questions that will facilitate you in choosing the most appropriate cover for your needs.
How to measure your iron board?
Get a measuring tape. Just make sure you are measuring the board at its widest point. You only need the length and width of the surface. There is no need to wrap your tape around the board.
What is a standard size ironing board?
We know many covers come with a standard-size tag. It means they are often 54 inches long and 15 inches wide. Please, remember, the boards that are used by the tailors are professional; they are usually 63 inches long and 19 inches wide.
How to wash the covers without damaging their quality?
If it is 100% cotton, and if it is machine-washable too, you can use the washer on the delicate cycle and use a mild detergent also.
How to dry the cover?
The best way is to hang it like other clothes.
How to remove the stain?
If the stain is stubborn, opt for the hand-wash option. Spray the solution on it that contains one cup of water, one cup for white vinegar and three tablespoons of baking soda. If you have dish soap, it is better to add a couple of drops of it too. Spray it and let it sit for a few minutes on it and scrub the stain until it is removed. Next, wipe down the surface with a clean, damp cloth.
Not every iron board cover is for you.
Even the covers from our list have their premium features. If it is still tough for you to decide, based on customer purchases and recommendations, get the LaundrySpecialist cover.
It is the best overall and makes the ironing process effortless and enjoyable.
You don’t have to ponder about the size either. It fits all standard and professional boards and offers a non-slip fitting with pull strings. Other than that, it is made in Europe, therefore, the quality is great. Plus, OEKO-TEX certification makes it the safest product in the market.