Bed sizes are labelled differently in the United Kingdom. The United States queen is referred to as a king in the UK and it is two inches shorter.
The UK equivalent to the US king is referred to as a super king and is again two inches shorter compared to a king in the United States.
The UK king, which measures 150 by 200 centimetres is the ultimate choice for comfort for couples. It is what you need to eliminate tossing and turning when sleeping with a partner.
A UK king alleviates restless legs, improves blood flow, eases breathing, and allows a couple to sleep in proper positions without interfering with each other’s sleep.
But there are too many options on the market. This can be confusing because individual brands have emerged with unique marketing tactics that can mislead you.
We have done the assessment on your behalf, and the following are the products that we believe you and your partner are looking for.
Top 5 Best King Size Mattresses on the UK Market
Evergreen Web UK King Size Mattress
- ✅ Mattress in Waterfoam 150 x 200 cm, 20 cm High, UK CERTIFICATE FIREPROOF Cigarette test BS EN 597 , Cold Foam High elasticity, Polyurethane foam, ecological. Ideal for any slatted frame or bed, white cover available with Memory Flock PILLOWS FREE OF CHARGE!
- ✅ Cover with quilted massage effect - White anallergic and anti-mite fabric - Super breathable.
- ✅ Orthopaedic, ergonomic mattress with 7 different zones, ideal for all types of beds and double beds.
Sleep bigger, sleep better on the Evergreen Web UK King Size Mattress. The bed is accompanied by a pair of free memory foam pillows.
The unique design of this bed will hardly sag in the middle. This mattress will not easily have uneven surface support or decreased edge support.
The polyurethane foam used adjusts to your every movement faster than conventional foams. The foam is designed to resist continuing body imprints while delivering optimal cooling.
Unlike traditional foam that features CFC, Evergreen Web uses water foam. This material is free of harmful chemicals and it is temperature sensitive.
The unique temperature sensitivity of water foam allows the bed to adjust to your body weight and heat. The bed offers more moulding comfort through the night.
The Evergreen Web king size bed selectively displaces pressure along the length of your body. This helps to relieve the pain that is usually associated with pressure points.
The mattress is made of non-toxic materials, making it friendly for both you and the environment. It also comes rolled and vacuum packed for easy transport in your house.
- Temperature sensitive water foam responds to body weight and heat
- Offers moulding comfort that alleviates all pressure points
- Allows for proper spinal alignment to relieve and prevent back pain
- Water foam is properly aerated, allowing you to sleep cooler
- White hypoallergenic cover has a massage effect
- Does not have a fixing for headboard
Simba UK King Hybrid Mattress
- 100,000+ Five-Star reviews: Meet the award-winning Simba Hybrid Mattress, Which? Best Buy 2020 & recommended by T3, Good Housing Institute and Ideal Home.
- The Hybrid difference: You don’t need to choose between spring and foam. With Simba Hybrid, get no-compromise comfort as standard.
- The Simba Aerocoil spring: Unlike pure memory foam which traps heat, we’ve added a layer of patented, super-light springs which act as mini bellows, pushing warm air away.
The Simba UK King Hybrid Mattress is built to survive the most rigorous testing. It is the ultimate choice for a good night’s sleep.
This bed is made up of a combination of modern foams and micro pocket springs, hence the name hybrid.
Just beneath the top cover is a specially engineered material that contains natural cooling particles, which help to keep you cool during sleep.
The patented springs are innovatively shaped to provide hugging comfort. Therefore, it does not matter what style you sleep, Simba supports from all angles.
The Simba Hybrid mattress is very comfortable and has a rather luxurious feel to it; perhaps the best plush bed in a box we have ever tested.
Once you get settled, the mattress spring system provides good support for your body and spine. It offers moulding comfort, making it ideal for a bad back.
- Supportive pocket springs that keep your spine properly aligned
- Cooling comfort layer that moulds to your body
- Responsive memory foam that relieves all pressure points
- Conical shaped springs help minimise motion transfer
- Edge to edge support provides you with a wider sleeping surface
- Takes a little bit of time to regain its shape after unboxing
Emma Original King Size Mattress
- ⭐Airgocell Memory Foam and Emma Ultradry Original: The Emma UltraDry award-winning breathable single mattress cover is both refreshing and practical. Our groundbreaking Point Elastic Airgocell technology enhances breathability and regulates temperature by absorbing and then evaporating sweat - so rising temperatures won’t have you disturb your nights.
- ⭐ 3 Layers of Pressure-relieving, Breathable and Temperature regulating Foam: Our ergonomic foams dynamically adapt to your body as you change sleeping positions throughout the night. Tailored to you, our innovative Halo Memory Foam adapts to your body shape for targeted spinal alignment, enhanced pressure relief and body-hugging comfort.
- ⭐MADE IN THE UK: A mattress should never be too soft or hard. We created a uniquely designed, layered mattress of British quality for pain-free sleep and comfort no matter your sleep style.
The Emma Original King Size Mattress provides you with a unique combination of breathable memory foam layers that provide long-lasting support.
The bed comes with an elastic top cover that is made of climate regulating fibre. The cover features 3D mesh for superior air circulation.
Beneath the cover is a layer of Airgocell foam that is point elastic and breathable. The point elasticity of the foam minimises motion transfer when sleeping with a partner.
The visco-elastic foam in between the layers does a great job of distributing pressure optimally. The unique pressure relief allows you to sleep in different styles without discomfort.
The base of the mattress is made of supportive HRX material that delivers counter pressure. Basically, the bottom layer provides comprehensive support for all sleeping positions.
The firmness of this bed may differ from one person to another. It might be a little bit on the firmer side for light people and on the softer side for heavy people.
- Offers maximum body adaptability for lasting support
- Zonal support that improves pressure distribution
- Elastic top cover that is thermal and climate regulating
- Point elasticity helps to minimise motion transfer
- Supportive HRX material offers comprehensive support for bad back
- Possible to arrive with a damaged box
DOSLEEPS King Size Mattress
- ★【A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP】With an innovative 9 Zone Support System constructed by individual spring coil pockets. each spring coil is made of tempered stainless steel wire into a bucket shape. Compressed and sealed in a fabric pocket to reduce noise of spring coil collision. It can eliminates pressure points, motion disturbance and lower back pain, this is the best mattress you will find for an incredible night's sleep!
- ★【Tencel Surface】The smooth fiber surface of TENCEL Lyocell fibers absorbs moisture more efficiently. This supports the body's natural thermal regulating mechanism, keeping your skin feeling pleasantly cool and dry throughout the day and night. Fabrics can also be engineered to provide warm and dry sensations on the skin.
- ★【SUPPORTIVE + UNDISTURBED SLEEP】Each Seperate Pocketed Coil is Individually & Independently Wrapped to Provide an Individualized Comfort Support System by Contouring each Person's Body Perfectly. It Also Doesn't Transfer Motion, for a Peaceful Undisturbed Sleep Even if Your Partner Moves at Night.
If you have been having problems with your current bed due to back pains, the DOSLEEPS King Size Mattress takes care of that. It has that comfort that takes away your pain and you do not have to worry about handling it as it comes in a well-packed box that is very easy to carry. Below is a detailed review of the mattress.
The Kingsize mattress is quite spacious and orthopaedic as it is made in such a way that it takes away the pressure on joints. It is moisture-proof, durable and has a 9 zone support system made up of individual spring coils. Extra comfort is given by Tencel Lyofiber surface, slow spring back foam, breathable non-woven fabrics, quality cotton and a strong polyester cover fabric at the bottom of the mattress.
The mattress is made up of smooth Tencel lyocell fibres that are very good when it comes to absorbing moisture. This is only achieved by using exceptional moisture control properties. This feature has an impressive way of regulating the thermal mechanism of the body. It makes the mattress ideal for people with back pains.
It has a support system made up of spring coil pockets. They have a natural way of adjusting to the weight and the position of the sleeper. Comfort and soft support are guaranteed on each and every body part that is exposed to fatigue or cramps. These include the head, shoulder, lumbar, hip, leg and ankle. It gives the sleeper the right orthopaedic support.
As if the individual pocket spring coil is not enough, the extra memory foam that is positioned on the top of the mattress gives additional comfort. It takes care of the pressure on body parts that are exposed to more pressure. These include the neck, spine and hip area. The amount of pressure eliminated rounds up to 87 per cent.
I highly recommend this mattress especially on old people who have problems with their backs and joints. It eliminates pressure on most body parts and takes care of that moisture. I give it a rating of 4.9 stars.
- Breathable Tencel fabric
- Orthopaedic mattress
- King size
- Bamboo charcoal fibre
- Pocket springs
- Anti-bacterial cotton
- Supports the whole body
- Easy to carry
- Once opened from the package, it is really difficult to pack it back
HomyLink 5FT King Mattress
- HomyLink Mattress : 9-Zone Orthopaedic ergonomic design, good for body shaping, all with fresh material, non-toxic, eco-friendly, comfortable and breathable, guarantee your health, exquisite modern outlook appearance design, decorate your room with good taste, super good cost performance. Master advanced technology and strict execute quality control.
- Pocket Spring Coil : supports hundreds of quality and stainless pocket spring, which considered to be the best coil support system working to evenly distribute your weight while aligning all parts of your body, can effectively absorb the noise and vibration caused by tossing and turning when sleeping. So, if you move around a lot on your side in your sleep and not wake up your partner on the other side.
- Massage Convoluted Wave Foam : Excellent shock-absorption and High resilience with massage wave shape, promote the blood circulation in good condition, fully relax your muscles and release the body stress, keep your spine balanced and positive, help adjust and correct your sleeping posture to greatly improve your sleeping quality.
The king mattress is made up of a 3D breathable mattress that is soft, comfortable, flexible and durable. It is good for your health and it is a mattress that one cannot afford to miss. You might have to replace your current mattress as this mattress can be overwhelming. Below is a quick review of the mattress.
When you buy it, you have to take into account the fact that it expands when unpacking and it takes a day or two to go back to its original size. It has an ergonomic design, shapes your body and has a good supporting system. It absorbs shock and allows blood to circulate perfectly.
It is soft, comfortable, flexible, strong and stretches. No matter how often the bed is used, it does not wear off easily. It does not allow the build-up of an electric charge when it rubs against other materials. It neither pills-off nor wears off and that makes it durable.
The springs do not interfere when your sleeping partner decides to leave or turn. It evenly distributes your weight and absorbs vibration. Each and every spring has its way of operation that adds up to less noise and absence of friction.
The outer fabric used has a special way of protecting the mattress from any liquids. It also prevents the mattress from heat and sweat. This brings more than enough comfort as you sleep especially during summertime.
It is user-friendly as it shapes your body and eliminates all the toxic elements that are harmful to your body. It makes the mattress more comfortable and breathable. It is good for your health and gives nothing but quality to your home.
I highly recommend it for the aged, those with more physical jobs as well as people with health issues that include back and joint problems. It could have been a five-star mattress but the fact that you can feel the springs when sleeping has made it a 4-star mattress.
- 3D Breathable fabric
- Soft and comfortable
- Decorative design
- High carbon steel spring
- When opening the mattress has an impressive way of expanding
- You can feel the springs
King Size Mattress: Buying Guide
Space is very important when sleeping, which is usually inadequate when sleeping with a partner on a limited surface.
So, the simplest solution for couples in the UK is to buy a UK king mattress. But the size alone will do you no good. You have to consider the built-in features of the mattress.
What is the perfect sleep experience? How do you quantify comfort? The answers to these two questions depend entirely on the mattress design you choose.
These are the most popular beds in today’s UK market. Modern day foam beds are favoured by most people in the United Kingdom because of the advancements that have been made.
Unlike before, the contemporary types of memory foam have been improved in design and functionality.
Most people used to complain that traditional foams were hot and uncomfortable, but that is not the case anymore.
Newer types of memory foams have emerged, such as convoluted or egg crate foam and gel infused memory foam.
The main focus of most memory foam bed manufacturers is contouring support, moulding comfort, pressure relief and cooling.
In fact, the aforementioned factors are what should guide you in your search for a memory foam mattress.
You want a UK king memory foam bed that will not sink too deep, but just offer the ideal contouring to relieve pressure points.
You want a bed that has point elasticity. This will ensure you and your partner don’t toss and turn the whole night due to discomfort.
But most important you want a foam mattress that features exceptional cooling properties, which starts with the topside cover all the way to the core of the bed.
Latex beds are exceptional when you and your partner are seeking for buoyant support and adaptability.
Latex is naturally elastic and resilient, which makes these beds excellent for adjustable bases. The resilience of latex makes it highly durable and long lasting.
A latex mattress contours to every part of your body, providing exceptional support. This ensures you experience no pressure points.
The natural elasticity of latex also helps to eliminate motion transfer. A turning and tossing partner won’t interfere with your sleep.
The ultimate choice for a UK king mattress is the hybrid design. This offers you the benefits of both worlds. Hybrid UK king beds are favoured for their spring feel.
A hybrid bed usually contains individually wrapped spring coils and layers of memory foam and/or latex. The comfort of this design depends mostly on the comfort layers.
The individually encased springs are known to offer targeted support and promote proper spinal alignment. These combinations of features are invaluable for back pain sufferers.
The thickness and Edge Support
A concern that may not be immediately obvious when choosing a quality UK king size mattress is usually the thickness.
When various thicknesses of a mattress of the same density are compressed by the same load, the indentation of sleep surface increases with the mattress thickness.
This implies that a thicker mattress will contour with your body curves perfectly, supporting your vertebral column effectively while eliminating pressure points.
Normally, stress transfers in a thick bed easily compared to a thin bed. Therefore, a thick bed has a superior response to weight, which guarantees longer service life.
One of the highlights of any good king size mattress is an edge to edge support without which you have a limited sleeping surface.
A quality king mattress should not only reduce motion transfer but should also be able to provide targeted support at the edge.
Good edge support also makes it easier for you and your partner to get into and out of bed easily without sinking too deep at the edge.
You don’t have to squeeze in a UK double, you can improve your sleeping experience by upgrading to a UK king mattress.
What is most important is the design of the bed. The most popular UK king mattress designs are hybrid (consisting of pocket springs) and memory foam. You can still consider latex/air beds.
For maximum support, contouring, pressure relief, comfort and durability. We advise you to consider a thick mattress with a superior indentation load deflection.
You should also go for brands with a reputation of producing high performing king mattresses, such as Evergreen Web, Simpur, Emma and Simba.