One of the main factors of a blissful sleeping experience is the type and quality of the mattress you have. The best quality mattress brings much comfort in your sleep.
The comfort helps you lie down properly and keeps your posture in place. While most mattresses provide soft features, some of them are too soft that it easily gets destroyed when someone heavy lies down in such mattresses.
Many companies in the UK are offering quality mattresses that can handle the weight of their heavy customers. Some of them are selling spring coil bed mattresses while others are into memory foams.
Some use the latest technology in mattress composition and structure that would aid heavy-set individuals in sleeping without either getting buried in the foam or destroying its material.
Qualities You Need To Look in a Mattress for Heavy Sleepers
When looking for a mattress intended for high body-weighted sleepers, you may want to consider the following qualities when choosing the best bed mattress.
Most people prefer a range of 5-7 out of 10. This is ideal for all body types and sleeping positions. Side sleepers usually go for 4 and below, but if you sleep on your back or stomach, you might want to go for 7 upwards.
Generally, the heavier you are, the more support foams you need for maximum comfort. Since you put more pressure on the mattress, look for comfort layer of about 4 inches at least.
This is usually found in mattresses as thick as 12” or more. If foam mattress options aren’t suitable for you, a pillow-top-coil mattress can be ideal for you.
It’s important to focus on the foam side to ensure good body shaping and contouring hug.
The materials of quality mattresses promote good softness and comfort levels, it is also worth noting the durability rating of the mattress itself. It may not break easily, but most memory foams have weight limits.
A durable base will surely keep the memory foam or mattress springs functional and will give you the comfort you want in a bed no matter how heavy you are.
Most mattresses that support heavy-set sleepers are firm and durable, most of them are not warm or cool enough to sleep on.
Airflow is important for heavy individuals as warmer beds get them sweaty while sleeping. A cooler bed through breathable foams would add more comfort to any sleeper even when bedsheets and blankets are added to the mattress.
The level of softness of every mattress determines the ampleness of comfort and ergonomics it brings to sleepers.
While you look for durable mattresses, many do not tend to check its softness and how it feels when you lie down with your back, on your sides, and with your front.
Checking the softness adds more assurance of a comfortable sleep no matter how heavy you are.
All conditions of the mattress you are checking at the store or online have met with your standards, it is still best to know how long you can have it replaced after buying the mattress.
Some online mattresses may not seem to be what is expected and some will show defects sooner than expected.
Knowing the duration from the time of purchase until the period the defect cropped up will help you get support, replacement, or even your money back.
We all have budgets in mind. The good thing is there are various high-quality mattresses in all price ranges. Whatever your budget is, you definitely can find a decent one that still offers quality while not compromising affordability.
Check out your options online and offline and choose the exact one that’s closest to your budget yet still offers a good level of quality. Mattresses on the luxury end range from $800-$1000.
However, if you want a mattress that doesn’t break down too soon, it’s ideal not to spend less than $500. Because higher-priced mattresses are on the more expensive side for a reason, and lower-priced ones are also too affordable because they may not necessarily offer premium quality.
Knowing and understanding all these qualities will help you get the perfect mattress that will support you or the heavy-set sleeper of the mattress you are considering to buy right now.
Types of Mattresses Suitable for Heavy Sleepers
In choosing the best mattress, it is best to know the types of mattresses available in the market that should be suitable for you and matches the qualities mentioned earlier.
The types of mattress will tell you its materials, composition, and the structure. This should let you know that this is suitable for you and your weight. Here are two common mattresses in the market that should withstand heavy sleepers.
Memory Foam Mattress
This type of latex mattress became popular due to its ability to return to its original form even after a longer period of lying down.
While it is made of latex foams, memory foams have better elasticity and conform better to the sleeping position of the heavy-set sleeper. These are suitable for side sleepers and those with posture or spinal column problems.
This is the most common and traditional among coil mattresses and has been around for more than a century now.
This is made with interconnected coils that support the top side of the mattress. This mattress usually has a wooden or cardboard base that holds the lower end of each coil.
Pocket Coil Mattress
Another and newer types of coil mattresses, this mattress has coils wrapped with cloth and topped with thick paddings that add extra comfort to every sleeper.
Those pocket coil mattresses with more coils are known to provide more mobility in sleeping positions and more comfort to the sleeper himself or herself.
Most Common Questions in Choosing Mattresses for Heavy Sleepers
1. What is the regular weight limit in a sleeping mattress?
Normally, those with 200 lbs. or less can still enjoy regular 10 inches thick mattresses. However, those who exceed this may need to have stronger and more durable 12 inches thick mattresses to support their weight and withstand longer periods of use without getting destroyed or deformed, especially with coil mattresses.
2. What is the difference between latex and a coil mattress?
Their only difference is the use of coils. Latex mattresses are made from latex, a rubbery substance made from rubber tree saps. They are simply rubber foams that expand and contract when force is applied.
On the other hand, coil mattresses have metal coils supporting the upper foam of this type of mattresses. Different coil styles mean a different level of support and comfort for every sleeper.
3. How different is an innerspring coil mattress from a pocket coil mattress?
Innerspring mattresses are the most traditional and most widespread mattresses available in the market. The soft upper pad paired with networks of coils supporting it gives your bed a bouncy feel.
Each coil is strategically placed to support the pressure made when lying down, making the mattress feel soft and comfortable to sleep on, in any position.
Pocket coil mattresses are coils from single foam capsules that form the mattress. This translates to better mobility of the sleeper and provides extra support for posture and sleep positions.
5 Best Mattress for Heavy people UK
Here are five of the best mattress that supports individuals over 200 lbs:
1. DOOSLEEP 4FT6 9-Zone Pocket Sprung Mattress
- ★【A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP】With an innovative 9 Zone Support System constructed by individual spring coil pockets. each spring coil is made of tempered stainless steel wire into a bucket shape. Compressed and sealed in a fabric pocket to reduce noise of spring coil collision. It can eliminates pressure points, motion disturbance and lower back pain, this is the best mattress you will find for an incredible night's sleep!
- ★【Tencel Surface】The smooth fiber surface of TENCEL Lyocell fibers absorbs moisture more efficiently. This supports the body’s natural thermal regulating mechanism, keeping your skin feeling pleasantly cool and dry throughout the day and night. Fabrics can also be engineered to provide warm and dry sensations on the skin.
- ★【SUPPORTIVE + UNDISTURBED SLEEP】Each Seperate Pocketed Coil is Individually & Independently Wrapped to Provide an Individualized Comfort Support System by Contouring each Person's Body Perfectly. It Also Doesn't Transfer Motion, for a Peaceful Undisturbed Sleep Even if Your Partner Moves at Night.
This pocket spring mattress features the latest technology that provides extra comfort to every customer.
Their 10.6 inches mattress is added with memory foam on top of the pocket coils, giving more softness and comfort for every sleeper.
- Latest 9-zone support system
- 90 days money-back guarantee
- Extra memory foam
- Free Shipping via Amazon Fulfillment
- Wider and Thicker than most mattress styles
- Durable cotton cover and blanket
- Anti-fire (UK Standards)
- 3D Breathable quilting pad for better ventilation
- Not available for delivery in some parts of the UK
2. VESGANTTI 4FT6 Pocket Sprung Mattress Double
- 【Individually Wrapped Spring】- Designed with Individually Wrapped Spring, this mattress offers excellently support to relieve 7 pressure points of your body (Feet, legs, hips, waist, shoulders, neck, head)
- 【Vesgantti Comfort System】- Multilayer Breathable Foam - Non toxic, hypoallergenic and baby-friendly, can increases good air circulation and let go body sweat and moisture to keep your body comfortable and dry when sleeping
- 【Ultra Quiet】- Excellent shock-absorption and resilience, can effectively absorb noise and vibration caused by tossing and turning. No waken up by noise, not disturb companion and effectively reduce your turning times. Have a sound and peaceful sleep!
The individually-wrapped pocket coils provide pressure relief in the seven parts of the body, like the back, legs, shoulders, necks, feet, head, and waist.
The signature Vesgantti comfort system ensures a comfortable sleep with its amazing air circulation and moisture absorption system.
A 100 nights trial is also included in every Vesgantti mattress purchase, so you can get a full refund if the mattress does not meet your expectations.
- Ultra-quiet pocket mattress
- Orthopedic Foam
- Fire retardant
- Memory Foam with a 10-year warranty
- Mattress-in-a-Box package system
- Has no sudden-flip protector
- Mattress firmness recovery takes as much as 72 hours after unpacking it from the package
3. Silentnight Pocket Essentials 1000 Pocket Sprung Mattress
- ECO COMFORT FIBRES : Sustainable and breathable for a refreshing sleep night's sleep that doesn’t cost the earth
- TAILORED SUPPORT : The Mirapocket layer uses 1000 pocket springs to individually respond to movement and deliver individual tailored support
- SOFT KNIT COVER : for a cosier sleep surface and soft smooth touch
A quality product of Silent Night, a well-known mattress maker and manufacturer in the UK, this mattress is one of the top-notch products made to bring comfort to every sleeper, even with heavy-set ones.
The 24cm mattress depth provides the medium softness that should aid your sleeping positions. The soft knit cover gives a good glide on the skin and the hypoallergenic materials mean comfort even for those who have bedtime allergies.
- 1000 Mirapocket springs
- Micro quilted
- Zoned support for the hips and shoulder points
- Durable case with a cocooning layer of memory foam
- Gets easily stained
- Not longer lasting
4. HomyLink Double Mattress Pocket Sprung 3D Breathable Sound Proofing Foam Mattresses
- HomyLink Mattress : 9-Zone Orthopaedic ergonomic design, good for body shaping, all with fresh material, non-toxic, eco-friendly, comfortable and breathable, guarantee your health, exquisite modern outlook appearance design, decorate your room with good taste, super good cost performance. Master advanced technology and strict execute quality control.
- Pocket Spring Coil : supports hundreds of quality and stainless pocket spring, which considered to be the best coil support system working to evenly distribute your weight while aligning all parts of your body, can effectively absorb the noise and vibration caused by tossing and turning when sleeping. So, if you move around a lot on your side in your sleep and not wake up your partner on the other side.
- Massage Convoluted Wave Foam : Excellent shock-absorption and High resilience with massage wave shape, promote the blood circulation in good condition, fully relax your muscles and release the body stress, keep your spine balanced and positive, help adjust and correct your sleeping posture to greatly improve your sleeping quality.
This mattress is specially designed to meet those with orthopedic concerns in sleeping. While the comfort it brings to every sleeper makes this mattress brand one-of-a-kind, their mattresses are suitable for all age groups.
Their breathable mattresses ensure cooler air ventilation in any sleeping positions. The firm texture also gives this mattress an amazing sensation on the skin and does not irritate it even after long periods of sleep.
- Sound Proofing
- A deep layer of memory foam
- Additional key fillings
- Has a micro-quilted cover
- Very tight packaging
- No sudden-flip protector
5. Molblly Double Memory Foam Mattress
- 【4CM GEL MEMORY FOAM LAYER】 The Molblly Memory Foam Mattress is designed with a two-layer full foam system with a top layer of 4CM gel memory foam, the gel is known as "artificial skin" for its excellent fit and skin-friendly properties. Its gentle touch makes us feel floating on the water and naturally conforms to the contours of the body, allowing optimal relaxation for the entire body, creating a deeper, longer and sweeter sleep.
- 【Medium Firmness】Medium Firm Mattress offers a medium-firm feel that strikes the perfect balance between comfort and support. It provides enough plushness to relieve pressure on your joints, while still offering a solid foundation for your body. Whether you sleep on your back, side, or stomach, medium-firm mattress provides enough plushness， while still offering a solid foundation for your body.
- 【Breathable Design】Mattresses features a breathable design that promotes air circulation and helps regulate your body temperature. This allows you to stay cool and comfortable throughout the night, even on hot summer nights.
This 20 cm mattress is deep enough for heavy set individuals and has a 2 centimeters Certified Gel Memory Foam Layer and 18CM of high-density base support foam for ultimate comfort. It includes a soft hypoallergenic cover layer that is washable for your convenience.
It is covered with a luxurious and hypoallergenic fabric cover with UK Fire Regulation standards on fire protection for domestic and international use.
Amidst its big size, the mattress is surprisingly lighter and is easily transported and moved.
- Vacuum packed
- Lighter mattress with durable material
- Memory Foam set with Reflex foam
- 100% genuine memory foam
- Hypoallergenic and dustmite-resistant
- Not moisture absorbent
- Gets warmer because of the absence of a ventilation system
As for the type of mattress to choose, you can buy mattresses that are a combination of latex and coil/spring types.
Many mattresses on the market are now featuring both and are even giving out extra support especially for those who have orthopaedic concerns in sleeping.
This should help you know and understand how the make and model of every mattress support your sleeping position, no matter how heavy or light you are.
Finally, consider mattresses that are compact yet provide durable support. Durability is the most important factor in choosing mattresses for heavy individuals.
While all mattresses give enough comfort that should make your nighttime sleep a good experience, most of them do not last long.
Consider buying one that offers both comfort and durability and you would be able to save up on mattresses than continuously buying cheaper ones that only boast of comfort but do not last long at all.
When it comes to choosing the best mattress, never take the selection process for granted. Do your homework and make sure your investment is worthwhile.