Most people seem to prefer sleeping on their side rather than sleeping on their backs or their stomachs.
This makes perfect sense because the fetal position is best achieved when sleeping sideways. Also, it is the healthiest position for the spine.
Fortunately, most beds are structured in such a way that people will feel most comfortable when sleeping sideways. With that said, certain beds can make side sleeping even more comfortable than it already is.
We’re going to take a look at some of the best mattresses that you can sleep on if you’re a side sleeper. We’re also going to take a look at some interesting facts about mattresses for side sleeping as well as side sleepers.
Reviews for the Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
Now that we’ve gone through some important things about side sleeping and our buying guide, let’s go on to the reviews. As mentioned above, we have five top picks to choose from. Let’s get started with them now:
1. Simba Hybrid Mattress
- AMAZON EXCLUSIVE: FREE OLD MATTRESS COLLECTION WORTH £40. The Simba Hybrid ships for free, in a compact box that’s easy to manoeuvre on your own.
- SCIENTIFICALLY ENGINEERED: We used data from ten million sleepers to create a mattress for all body types and sleep styles.
- AWARD WINNING MATTRESS: The Simba Hybrid is the most-reviewed mattress-in-a-box in Europe, with over 35,000 five-star ratings.
Another very well-loved brand in the UK mattress industry is Simba. What makes this mattress different compared to other mattresses is its spring system.
Specifically, it is a spring system with 2500 conical springs connected to the memory foam layer. The memory foam in itself makes the bed comfortable, but the springs give it its overall support.
The combination of both aspects makes this bed ideal for a good night’s rest. It is also very durable and can last years longer than typical mattresses.
Finally, it does have its cooling layer just in case you’re the type that doesn’t like to sleep on a hotbed.
- Very durable structure
- Hybrid spring and memory foam system
- Cooling layer
- Contouring feature
- Low to mid-level BMI
2. Inofia Memory Foam Mattress
- ☑️You can definitely sleep on both sides— Inofia mattress personalized 3 layer sleep system (Gel memory foam, Visco-elastic foam, Charcoal support foam ) consists of premium materials that work in harmony. You can choose between a softer, cooler gel memory foam layer or a more supportive charcoal wicking layer, both firmness levels designed to work well with your sleep habits to give you a better night's sleep memory.
- ☑️Sleep Cooler and Safe— Cooling gel memory foam provides cradling support while dissipating body heat. The middle layer of engineered visco-elastic foam optimally distributes pressure. All Inofia foam is CertiPUR-US Certified. Inofia mattresses may come with a slight "Fresh Foam" odor. No worries, it is harmless and will dissipate in a few days.
- ☑️Removable and washable - Inofia mattress cover has a double-layer design. The upper fabric is 500g 3D skin-friendly quilted knitted fabric (suitable for children), which is highly hygroscopic and breathable. The lower fabric is 110g non-removable knitted fabric protective cushion cover, making daily maintenance of inofia memory foam mattress simple, long service life and good durability.
If you’re looking for a thicker mattress, then this one may be your best choice. This is the Inofia Memory Foam Mattress and is known for having four layers of support.
That way, you can feel the full softness of the mattress and have a great sleep. Just so you know, the memory foam is about 1.5 inches thick, the bed isn’t as bouncy or squishy.
Rather, it is one of the firmest mattresses on the market reaching a BMI somewhere near 30. Since it doesn’t sink that much, this bed is ideal for those who weigh heavier than the average person.
- Firm mattress for heavyweight individuals
- Cushion support
- Ideal for couples
- Can also be for back sleepers
- Not compatible for those who like very soft mattresses
- Only small edge support
3. Otty Luxury 2000 Pocket Spring, Memory Foam Mattress
- AWARD-WINNING HYBRID MATTRESSES – All our products offer ultimate support, outstanding quality, and highly competitive pricing. Once you try your new OTTY Original Luxury Hybrid Mattress you will see just why we are so highly sought after.
- SUPPORTIVE POCKET SPRING TECHNOLOGY – All our mattresses come with up to 2000 Encapsulated 16cm Pocket Springs, which are the longest and most supportive on the UK Bed in a Box Market. The individually encapsulated springs minimise motion transfer to ensure a perfect night’s sleep, every night.s set by the governing body. The advanced technology comes in tiny perforations that allow airflow right through the hybrid mattress where other foams can cause overheating. The cavity space created around the springs also acts like a bellow which aids temperature regulation.
- TEMPERATURE REGULATING AIR FLOW SYSTEM – Our high-quality mattresses use CentiPUR and Europur approved memory foam. The Heat Regulating AirFlow Technology means perforations allow air to circulate through the mattress which aids temperature regulation and prevents overheating at night.
Not everyone is a fan of foam mattresses which is why some people like hybrids instead. If you’re looking for a good hybrid mattress, then, ideally, you get the Otty Luxury Pocket Spring, Memory Foam Mattress.
You might be familiar with this mattress because it has won a lot of awards for the best product. No doubt that this is a high-quality, luxury mattress that has a firm support level.
This is also great for those who are in the heavier weight class since it isn’t soft and squishy.
- Comes with a 100-day sleep trial
- Firm support level
- Whole-body support
- Breathable material
- Not a full memory foam mattress
4. Dormeo Options Hybrid
- Cool & breathable airmesh sides provide optimum breathability, helping move humid air out and fresh air in, enhancing constant air circulation throughout the mattress.
- 2.5 cm of luxurious memory foam plus individual springs placed in their own fabric pockets that independently move for traditional spring support with less transfer of movement.
- Experience multiple sleep technologies in one mattress with foam and traditional pocket springs. Truly the best of both worlds.
If you’re from the UK or any part of Europe, then you’ve most likely heard about the brand Dormeo. The Dormeo Options Hybrid, in particular, is a great model that comes from the brand.
It is also one of the rare beds that make use of a hybrid foam coil mechanism. This is one of the best beds for those who happen to have back issues.
This is a very comfortable bed for those who have constant backaches or shoulder pains.
- Warranty included
- Comes in single, double and king size
- Hybrid foam and coil
- Comes with an efficient edge support
- Mid-level to high BMI may be uncomfortable for some
- Not as sturdy as a lot of other mattresses
5. Nectar Double Memory Foam Mattress
- Double Mattresses 365-Night Home Trial - One of the best parts of choosing a Nectar Mattress is the incredible year-long trial period that starts the day your mattress is delivered to your door.
- Gel Memory Foam. Nectar is a gel memory foam Bed in a Box mattress designed for every kind of sleeper and helps distribute your weight and body heat around the mattress, so you don't sleep hot or feel lumps.
- Five Layers of Comfort. Soft & airy top layer of quilted cooling tencel mattress cover. Second layer of gel memory foam to distribute your weight. Add in an adaptive response transition layer that provides support to avoid the feeling of sinking into quicksand. Backed with a base layer to reinforce support. At the very bottom is a mattress cover to ensure that mattress slippage is not an issue!
What makes the Nectar Double Memory Foam Mattress rather unique is its gel filling. This mattress has a much more efficient ability to take the shape of your body and custom fit it to your shape.
At the same time, it doesn’t eat you up. Another great thing about it is that it does not overheat, unlike some mattresses. This is great for those who like to lie down on cool mattresses even if they’ve been on top of it for hours.
That’s because it makes use of a cooling cover that comes along with the mattress. This cooling cover neutralizes body heat making you stay cool even during summer nights.
- Comes with cooling cover
- Very high density memory foam layer
- 365-day sleep trial
- Big super king size
- Does not come with edge support
- Does sink very low
Why Side Sleepers Need Special Mattress
If you’re a side sleeper, you may be asking yourself right now if you need a special mattress. We wouldn’t say that you need an awfully special, customized mattress.
However, you need to find the mattress that provides the most support to your body– especially your spinal cord.
For instance, most side sleepers need a rather soft mattress so that the shoulders and hips will be comfortable when you lie down on the side.
One example is a memory foam mattress that sinks your body into the mattress, giving adequate support to your shoulders.
While you don’t need any magical mattress if you’re a side sleeper, you do need one that has qualities fit for side sleepers. That is what we will go deeper into in the next section.
Mattress for Side Sleepers: Buying Guide
Before we go on to the list of mattresses that we think are the best, we’d first like to go over a little buying guide we created.
This buying guide was made to help you choose the best one out of the five choices that we’re presenting to you in this review.
For the buying guide, we’ll list down a set of criteria that you have to take note of when you’re looking for the best side sleeper mattress. Here it is:
The first thing that you have to take into consideration is the firmness of the mattress. This refers to how hard or how soft it is.
Now, this is usually measured by the BMI or the body mass index. When you measure the BMI of your mattress, you usually have the firm, medium, and soft firmness.
A BMI 19 or lower indicates a very soft mattress. A BMI between 19 to 25 indicates a medium firmness of the mattress, and a BMI of 26 to 31 indicates a firm mattress.
Other mattresses may fall out of this range and may be either extra firm or extra soft.
You will usually choose the one that’s most comfortable for you. That’s why testing the firmness is important.
A more accurate and objective way to determine what BMI of mattress suits you the most is taking a look at your body weight.
Bodyweight is important because it determines how much your body can sink into the mattress. That’s why heavyweight side sleepers need more firm mattresses than lighter-weight individuals.
Those who are above 230 pounds need high-level firmness in their mattresses so that they won’t sink it when they side sleep.
Aside from just the BMI and body weight, you also need to take into consideration the size of your mattress. This may depend on what side position you assume and what your height is.
We recommend that you get a bed that is longer than your overall height, so you can have room to stretch.
This is especially true if you usually sleep in a log position with legs straight out. At least if you change to a fetal position, you have enough room to move about.
Anyway, just consider those two details when choosing the size of your bed.
Usually, there are two types of foam that you can choose from. These are the polyfoam and the memory foam. Polyfoam or polyurethane foam is the more traditional type that has the usual density and bounciness that regular beds have.
Memory foam mattresses tend to be a little more different. They have more chemicals inside of them that help them increase overall density.
It is for that very reason that memory foam mattresses tend to sink further in when you lie down on them and assume the shape of your body.
A lot of side sleepers prefer memory foam mattresses since they perfectly fit their bodies. So whether you’re heavy or light, memory foam takes on the shape of any weight. In any case, the decision depends on your preference.
Price and Brand
The last thing that you need to take note of is the brand and pricing. We never recommend that you buy cheap mattresses since this will affect the quality of your sleep.
We always advise that you buy mattresses that come from well-known brands so that you don’t have to compromise your rest.
That said, all of the brands that we’ve listed in our reviews are good brands that come from reputable companies. They may be on the pricier side, but you’ll understand why they’re worth the investment once you have a consistently good sleep.
FAQs Mattress for Side Sleepers
Aside from spinal alignment, what are the other benefits you can get from side sleeping?
Side sleeping is known to provide a number of health benefits such as better circulation, improved heart health, and decreased sleep apnea symptoms.
Can I have a sleep trial before buying the mattress?
There are a few brands that offer sleep trials. These sleep trials usually last 90 nights or more wherein you can bring the mattress home and test it. If you’re not satisfied with how it went, then you may return it at no cost.
How many layers of foam do quality mattresses usually have?
This will depend on the brand, but a good mattress usually has around two layers of foam.
How long can a foam mattress last?
This depends on the brand and the usage habits. However, typical foam mattresses could last from 5 years to up to 7 years. There are even some mattresses that can last for up to 8 years.
Do these mattresses come with a warranty?
Yes, they usually do. The typical mattress has a warranty of at least 10 years. However, some can reach up to 30 years while some may even have a lifetime warranty. This depends on the brand and the coverage.
Without a doubt, a good mattress is the one thing that you need to have a high-quality sleep. This is especially true if you’re an avid side sleeper.
With the many choices out there, it may be a bit difficult to know which mattress is the best for your own needs. That’s why we have a list of products that you can compare and contrast.
We’ve listed all the pros and cons of each of the best products, so you can look at them objectively.
By reading our guide, not only will you know the best mattresses to choose from, but you’ll also know how to choose the best one. Aside from that, you’ll also learn more about side sleepers and about mattresses that most side sleepers use.
With all of this newfound knowledge, we hope you pick out the best mattress for your bedroom and enjoy a good night’s sleep– or a series of them!