For most people, a mattress can be a significant investment; hence, it should be cared for and protected against stains, spills, dirt, dust mites, and other allergens.
A mattress protector is an effective and affordable way to protect your mattress and ensure that it lasts as long as possible.
It provides a thin coverage for mattresses and ensures its longevity so that you have more years before making any replacement. Also, a mattress protector can help regulate your body temperature and keep you cosy through the night.
Another reason why protectors are a great choice is that they come in different fabrics and sizes and can easily be washed.
Below are our 5 best mattress protectors that you can choose from to improve the health and quality of your home. Also included is a mattress protector buying guide to help you know the essential factors to consider when making your purchase.
Things to Keep in Mind when Choosing a Mattress Protector
Purchasing a mattress protector can be daunting because of the numerous options available. If you are contemplating on purchasing a mattress protector, here are some factors to keep in mind.
With such a plethora of brands and materials, you want to ensure that you find the perfect mattress protector that achieves a high level of comfort and softness.
If what you need is extra support for your body and limbs, then a mattress protector with extra texture and cushion would be a great choice. Also, if you prefer a warm cover, opt for one that has a loft knitting style.
Similarly, if you prefer a cold sleeping climate, opt for a mattress protector that allows airflow for the mattress to breathe.
Mattress protectors with breathability prevent heat from being trapped, and this will give you a cooler sleeping experience.
Usually, mattress protectors come in three basic styles to meet the needs of different clients.
Zippered or Encasement
This type of mattress protector shields the entire mattress from top to bottom. Mattress encasements usually come with a zip, and this makes them ideal for protecting against allergens, dust mites, bed bugs, and other contaminants. If you want utmost shielding, choose a model with a micro-tooth zipper.
A popular type, the fitted mattress protector comes with pocketed corners that are tacked under the mattress. Although these protectors are cheap and great at waterproofing, they do not offer 100% coverage like encasement protectors.
The last type is the elastic strap protector that is placed on top of the bed. This protector comes with elastic straps that wrap up around the four corners of the bed. For this reason, it offers a more secure fit than the fitted protector.
4. Material and Fabric
Before you begin shopping for a mattress protector, you need to familiarize yourself with the different fabrics and materials. Protectors come in a wide range of materials including cotton, vinyl, polyurethane, and polyester.
Cotton is a popular fabric because it is hypoallergenic, lightweight, and machine washable. Polyurethane and vinyl materials are waterproof while polyester is a durable and cheap fabric that comes in a variety of styles.
Do your research to find out the pros and cons of each fabric before making your choice.
5. Fully Washable
When choosing a mattress protector, you want to ensure that it is easy to remove and wash. This is important because a mattress protector is prone to accidental stains and spills.
Regular washing will prolong the life of the mattress protector and keep your bed clean and odourless. With a fully washable protector, you will get to enjoy full protection for your mattress without the high maintenance.
The purpose of a mattress protector is to keep your mattress clean and dry at all times. For this reason, you want to ensure that your protector has a high level of water absorbency in case you accidentally spill liquids on your bed. Consequently, the lifespan of your mattress will increase.
Usually, the size of the protector will depend on the size of your mattress and the amount of protection you need. You should, therefore, measure the size of your bed before heading out to shop for a mattress protector. Also, take into consideration how much coverage and protection you require.
Frequently Asked Questions Mattress Protector
Does a mattress protector extend the life of my mattress?
A mattress protector is designed to create a barrier between accidental spills or dirt and your mattress. Without it, your mattress will be prone to wear and tear because of the frequent washes.
For this reason, it plays a major role in adding to the life of your mattress.
Are mattress protectors different from covers?
Yes, there is a difference between protectors and covers. A protector is designed to cover the mattress entirely to protect it from things while a cover is made to lie on top of the mattress. Usually, covers are made from latex or memory foam, and they provide extra comfort.
What benefits can be accrued from mattress protectors?
There are so many advantages of using a mattress protector. They include:
- Enhances your sleeping Experience-Mattress protectors provide extra comfort to enhance your sleeping experience.
- Protects your mattress- Mattress protectors are designed to safeguard your mattress against allergens, moisture, accidental liquids, and pets. They are what you need to keep your mattress clean and dry. This also helps to keep the mattress warranty for a longer period in case you want it refunded or replaced.
- Affordable- Mattress protectors are available at a significantly lower price than most mattress toppers and pads.
- Easy to wash- Most brands of mattress protectors are machine washable.
Top Picks Best Mattress Protectors UK Reviews
1. Utopia Bedding Quilted Fitted Mattress Pad
- Mattress Protector Small Double size dimensions measure 122 x 190 cm; The skirt fits up to 38 cm deep mattress [THIS COVER IS NOT WATERPROOF]
- This super soft quilted cover with fiberfill has additional loft that provides extra comfortable sleep and protection; The elastic all around secures the pad into position
- Quilted mattress protector cover is durable and long lasting and is significant for two main reasons that are, to keep your mattress free of stains and to prevent exposure to dust mites and other potential allergens
With 100% cotton material, this hypoallergenic mattress protector is a great alternative for synthetic mattress protectors.
The organic composition of cotton makes this mattress protector naturally hypoallergenic. It does not contain any pesticide or chemical treatments that may affect people with sensitive skin.
What makes it an even greater choice is the fact that the material goes through sanitized hygiene treatment. This helps it to stop dust mites, bacteria, or other contaminants from settling on your bed.
Also, the composition of cotton makes this model breathable and allows it to stay cooler for longer. It is, without doubt, the best choice for those who want a cool night’s sleep.
Plus, it comes with a wide range of sizes including single, double, king, super king, and emperor.
- Great choice for allergies and sensitive skin
- Soft and comfortable
- Optimizes temperature
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Washing machine friendly
- This product is not quilted
2. Tempur Fit Mattress Protector
- 3 Year Manufacturer's Guarantee defects and stitching
- Fully breathable and water resistant sleeping surface
- Easy to fit stretchable cover with elasticated skirt, in white only
If you are looking for a luxurious mattress protector that is effective at waterproofing, then you might want to consider the Tempur Waterproof Mattress Protector.
This is thanks to its polyurethane membrane and absorbent Tencel surface that ensures 100% absorbency and breathability.
So unlike most protectors that use a plastic layer to keep things dry, this model deals with leaks and spills while ensuring your comfort.
This makes it the perfect choice for candidates who want to protect their mattress and still enjoy the health benefits.
Although this protector was designed for use on Tempur mattresses, it can still be used on other mattresses with a depth of 21-27cm. Its deep sides and stretch design allows you to cover mattresses of different sizes.
Another incredible feature of this protector is that it can be used directly like a sheet or used below your bedsheets. It is very easy to care for and maintain mainly because it can be machine washed.
Plus, it can be placed on the tumble drier up to 70C, which means that you can enjoy its comfort each night.
- High quality
- Absorbent and breathable material
- Can be machine washed and tumbled dried
- Thin membrane
3. IMFAA Quilted Extra Deep Mattress Protector
- Sizes Guide : Length = 190Cm, Width = 137Cm and Depth = 40Cm Apx.
- IMFAA Quilted Mattress Covers are fully Fitted Extra Deep Mattress Protectors to fit more deeper mattresses
- IMFAA Quilted Mattress protector extra deep is durable mattress pad which is conveniently machine washable at 40c.
This IMFAA mattress protector is made from a blend of topnotch cotton and polyurethane. A great spec about this protector is its effective but low-key waterproofing that doesn’t squeak as other protectors do.
This makes it an excellent choice if you frequently experience liquid spills on your bed. It is a high-quality protector that will protect your mattress from dirt, dust, and moisture.
It also features a micro fresh technology that eliminates odour and keeps your mattress fresh for longer. Because it is quilted, it offers an extra layer of comfort for a superb sleeping experience.
This protector is different from others as it is specially designed for deep-sided mattresses. It comes in range sizes of single, double, king, and super king. So whatever dimension your bed is, this protector will ensure a snug fit to your mattress.
Because it is machine washable, you can remove and wash the protector and return it on the bed. With this feature, your protector will be free from contaminants, and this will help you enhance the quality of your mattress.
- Entirely waterproof
- Can be machine washed
- Very comfortable
- Available in many sizes
- Great for thick deep-sided mattresses
- Synthetic material
4. Panda Bamboo Mattress Protector
- The outer cover of the protector is made from 70% Bamboo Rayon and 30% Cotton. Blending together both bamboo and cotton allows the proctor to feature high durability, breathability whilst being dust mite resistance and hypoallergenic.
- Antibacterial - Bamboo is naturally anti-bacterial and resists mould, fungi, mildew and dust mites.
- Hypoallergenic - Bamboo is suitable for sleepers who suffer from eczema, sensitive skin or hay fever (caused by dust mite). Tested and certified by OEKO-TEX Standard 100.
Do you suffer from eczema or generally have sensitive skin? The Panda Bamboo Mattress Protector is made from a combination of bamboo rayon and cotton to give a comfortable and sleeping experience.
The bamboo fabric comes with the natural benefits of relaxing and comforting and has minimal rustling.
The composition of bamboo in this mattress protector allows users with sensitive skin to rest soundly. The bamboo is hypoallergenic and antibacterial, which helps to protect the skin and prevent allergies.
What’s more, the Panda Bamboo mattress protector has been certified and tested by OEKO-TEX Standard 100. This means that it can repel dust mite, fungi, mildew and mould that may settle on your bed.
Additionally, the bamboo fabric makes this cover moisture-wicking. So if you overheat and sweat a lot at night, you might want to consider this protector.
With a deep fit of 32cm, this protector can fit numerous bed sizes including UK double, king, and super king.
This protector is suitable for machine wash and tumble-drying. The only downfall is that it can take a while to dry.
- High-quality bamboo rayon material
- Hypoallergenic and antibacterial
- Machine washable
- Minimal rustling
- Takes time to dry
5. Silentnight Deep Sleep Mattress Topper
- DEEPER SLEEP: Sink into deeper sleep. Generously filled for endless comfort and support, helping you to sleep more deeply every night
- REJUVENATES YOUR MATTRESS: Breathes new life into any mattress by adding an extra layer of comfort for you to sink into
- EASY FIT STRAPS: The easy fit straps provide an easy secure fit
Seal in your mattress with this soft and 100% waterproof mattress protector from Silentnight. This protector is designed to create a barrier against spills, pets, and dirt.
When you have this protector, you will be at peace even when kids or pets jump on the mattress.
Aside from guarding your mattress, it also ensures helps to regulate your temperature, so you can have a restful and comfortable night’s sleep.
So if you are one of those who overheat during the night, look no further than the Nectar mattress protector.
Silentnight Mattress protector is made from Tencel material which is gotten from natural wood cellulose and then made into an ultra-breathable, soft, and waterproof fabric.
Compared to cotton, Tencel fabric has a high level of absorbency. The fabric is also softer than linen.
This protector is ideal for mattresses that are 32cm deep and is available in numerous sizes. Plus, it is eco-friendly.
- Exceptional quality
- It is temperature regulating
- Ultra-breathable fabric
- Absorbs moisture well
- Machine washable
- It is not quilted
A mattress protector will not only enhance the lifespan of your mattress but also improve the overall quality of your sleep.
With a top-notch mattress protector, you won’t have to worry about minor spills, dust, and allergens. The above guide comes in handy for users who want to make a more informed buying decision.