Soft mattresses are growing in popularity because of the many benefits they offer. If you are a side sleeper or are struggling with restless nights, a soft mattress would do the trick. This is because they are designed to provide the right cushioning and conform to your body’s natural shape.
Soft mattresses come in different designs and sizes, and you just need to find the right one for your needs. If you are looking to enhance your sleeping experience, this guide will help you choose the soft mattress from the best models in the market. Below is also a quick buying guide to help you find the perfect mattress for your needs.
How to Find the Perfect Soft Mattress
When shopping for soft mattresses, it is important to consider the type of construction. Soft mattresses are available in different construction types including memory foam, pocket sprung, hybrid, and latex.
Most soft mattresses are made from memory foam material which is great for providing support for people with joint pain and allergy. However, because of their deep sinking effects, memory foam tends to become quite hot and un-breathable.
Pocket sprung mattresses come with separate springs housed in fabric pockets and are designed to offer additional support to the body. Latex mattresses have a solid feel than memory foam and are springier.
They are a common choice because they help regulate temperature and have natural antimicrobial properties that make it a good choice for those with asthma and allergies.
The other type is hybrid mattresses which conform well to the body and ensure temperature neutrality. However, most of the hybrid mattresses are on the firmer side.
Essentially, softer mattresses have more layers to offer more comfort. However, this makes the mattress heavier and can be very difficult to move.
Luckily, soft mattresses with construction type like memory foam are usually lighter than models such as those with inner springs.
Of course, you want to ensure that you sleep on a comfortable mattress that will improve your spine alignment.
Sleeping on a mattress that causes improper alignment can result in discomfort, pain, and aches. Different mattresses offer varying comforts, so choose the most suitable one based on your preference.
Some soft mattresses tend to come with breathable covers for air circulation. So if you sweat a lot at night, you should consider this factor so that you enjoy a cool night sleep.
The other thing to take into account when making your purchase is the size of the soft mattress. Typically, soft mattresses come in sizes like small single, single, small double, double and king size.
If you are sharing the bed with your partner, make certain that the mattress is wide enough to accommodate your different sleeping positions. It is wise to measure your bed first, so you can have an idea of what size of the mattress to get.
Some manufacturers provide 100-day back money guarantee for their products, so consider this when making your selection. A mattress that comes with a trial period allows you to send it back if it does not meet your requirements. However, it’s important to note that most handmade and traditional mattresses do not have trial periods
Frequently Asked Questions
Who are soft mattresses designed for?
Ideally, soft mattresses are designed for restless sleepers who find it hard to get sleep as it provides more comfort than other types of mattresses.
If you are a side sleeper, a soft mattress would also be a good choice because it helps align the spine correctly and prevents you from waking with pains and aches.
Because soft mattresses are designed to sink deeper, they are good for those who experience hip and other joint pain problems. This reduces any pressure and discomfort that you may feel while sleeping on hard mattresses.
They are also designed for lightweight individuals and children. Because children’s bones are still growing, soft mattresses can help align their spine as they sleep and ensure proper posture.
What sizes are available for soft mattresses?
Basically, soft mattresses are available in sizes such as small single, single, small double, double and king size.
Are softer mattresses suitable for heavy people?
No, soft mattresses are only suited for below-average and above-average individuals. This is because they tend to sink much, and this helps to relieve pressure points on the bodies of average weight individuals more than firmer mattresses would.
People who weight above average tend to sink more deeply into softer mattresses, and this makes them uncomfortable. Also, the sinking effects of softer mattresses can lead to pressure and pain in heavier individuals.
What is a pocket sprung mattress and what is it used for?
Just as the name suggests, pocket sprung mattresses consist of up to 3000 springs that are placed in fabric pockets.
The springs are designed to move independently to offer more support to the body. What’s more, the springs come in different tensions like soft, medium and firm, and this helps to support individuals of different weights.
However, a downside of pocket sprung mattresses is that they have a high density, and this makes them difficult to turn. Also, most of them are packed with natural materials like lambswool that are likely to aggravate the allergy.
Are soft mattresses good for stomach-sleepers?
Most people who sleep on their stomach find soft mattresses uncomfortable to sleep on. Since the mattress sinks beneath, it causes one to turn their head so that they don’t sleep facing down.
This can lead to pressure in the neck and shoulders, causing discomfort during the night. Additionally, stomach sleepers with a heavier weight may feel uncomfortable sleeping on soft mattresses.
Does a soft mattress require turning?
Some soft mattresses require turning while others just need rotating. So this goes down to your personal preference. If you are considering purchasing a heavy or large mattress, opt for one that comes with side handles to make turning easy.
Top 5 Best Soft Mattress Reviews
Silentnight 2000 Pocket Box Top Super Soft Mattress
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT & RELIEF | Silentnight's Mirapocket zoned spring system ensures tailored pressure relief and unparalleled support with 2000 individually nested springs
- SUPER SOFT LUXURY | 15cm of super soft foam for ultimate luxury and comfort
- SOFT COMFORT | to suit those that like to sleep on their sides and our deepest mattress at 38cm depth
The Silentnight 2000 Foam Mattress is a soft feel choice that is made of high-quality materials. Silent Night is a reputable brand in the UK market that is well-known for its quality products.
This mattress is made from memory foam and is an ideal choice for side sleepers. It is worth noting that foam mattresses offer better support and is great for those with allergies and sensitive skin.
An impressive feature of this mattress is that the single, double and king sizes all come rolled up in a box which makes it easy to transport and get it into the room of your choice.
Another thing that makes it stand out is the fact that it is available in softer, medium, and firmer choices. At 26cm deep, this mattress offers a nice deep for those that love to sink into the mattress.
- Great for side sleepers and allergy sufferers
- Made from state-of-the-art memory foam
- Numerous firmness levels to choose from
- Cooling geltex that allows breathability
- Memory foam tends to feel hot
Emma The Original Mattress
- ⭐Airgocell Memory Foam and Emma Ultradry Original: The Emma UltraDry award-winning breathable single mattress cover is both refreshing and practical. Our groundbreaking Point Elastic Airgocell technology enhances breathability and regulates temperature by absorbing and then evaporating sweat - so rising temperatures won’t have you disturb your nights.
- ⭐ 3 Layers of Pressure-relieving, Breathable and Temperature regulating Foam: Our ergonomic foams dynamically adapt to your body as you change sleeping positions throughout the night. Tailored to you, our innovative Halo Memory Foam adapts to your body shape for targeted spinal alignment, enhanced pressure relief and body-hugging comfort.
- ⭐MADE IN THE UK: A mattress should never be too soft or hard. We created a uniquely designed, layered mattress of British quality for pain-free sleep and comfort no matter your sleep style.
If you are looking for a mattress that offers all-round comfort, then the Emma mattress is just what you need. Made in the UK, this mattress uses a different type of chemical foam than what is used in other memory foam mattresses. According to the manufacturer, this makes the mattress more durable.
Another thing that makes this mattress durable is three-layer construction. This includes an Airgocell foam layer that helps with ventilation, a 25mm layer of memory foam for pressure relief for the joints and a thicker foam base to give support to the shoulders and lower back.
What’s more, on top of the mattress is a soft breathable cover that wicks away moisture to give less sweaty nights. With this unique construction, you can be assured of comfortable night sleep.
The Emma Original mattress has medium firmness. Nonetheless, it is still soft and comfortable and provides a restful night for side and back sleepers. Unlike most mattresses, this model comes with handles that ensure making your bed is effortless. Plus, it rises to its full height of 25cm a few hours after being released from its package.
- Extremely durable
- Minimum motion transfer
- Breathable cover to keep you cool
- Side handles that help with positioning the mattress
- Machine washable
- No odour
- 100 days trial period
- A little on the firm side
- Not suitable for heavy persons
- Doesn’t make body shapes
Leesa Premium Foam Mattress
- Three layers of high quality foam deliver cooling bounce, contouring pressure relief and core support for amazing sleep, night after night
- Universal feel adapts to body weight, shape and sleeping style
- The Leesa mattress has been awarded a Which? Best Buy and received Good Housekeeping Institute approval
If what you are looking for is optimum comfort without compromising on performance, the Leesa mattress should top your list. This mattress is designed with a unique combination of three premium foam layers for comfort, support, and cooling.
The 15-base layer offers support, the 5cm foam layers help with temperature regulation while the 5cm memory foam layer relieves pressure. It also stands out for those with the back problem because it offers spinal support and moulds well into your body shape.
Another worth noting feature is the super soft fabric that provides a soothing tactile element. The fabric is also padded and can be removed for washing.
What’s more, the Leesa mattress is neither too soft nor firm. So if you are sleeping with your partner, you can comfortably turn and toss without disturbing them. It is also a great option for those who sleep on their back or are a little heavy.
The top Avena foam layer incorporates an airflow system for cooling and prevents overheating at night. This makes it an ideal choice for those who get hot during the night.
- 3-layer high-quality foam
- Offers both comfort and support
- Great quality
- Minimal motion transfer
- Great for heavy people and back sleepers
- Temperature regulating foam layers
- Clear and understandable instructions
- Not ideal for side sleepers
- Can be hot because of the memory foam
Simba Hybrid Mattress
- 100,000+ Five-Star reviews: Meet the award-winning Simba Hybrid Mattress, Which? Best Buy 2020 & recommended by T3, Good Housing Institute and Ideal Home.
- The Hybrid difference: You don’t need to choose between spring and foam. With Simba Hybrid, get no-compromise comfort as standard.
- The Simba Aerocoil spring: Unlike pure memory foam which traps heat, we’ve added a layer of patented, super-light springs which act as mini bellows, pushing warm air away.
The Simba Hybrid Mattress is an award-winning mattress in the UK market. It is scientifically engineered with 2,500 pocket springs that offer supreme comfort and support. It also comes with five layers of memory foam that features a cooling air-flow system to control the temperatures.
Another feature that makes Simba mattress stand out is the fact that its outer cover is hypoallergenic, and this discourages the formation of bacteria to ensure that you sleep in a healthy environment. Also, compared to other memory foam mattresses, this mattress is on the softer side to give you the perfect quality of sleep.
If you are a side sleeper, you will most definitely appreciate the fact that this mattress adjusts well to your sleeping posture. It also comes rolled up in a box so that you can carry it up the stairways with ease. Once released from the box, it will take 3-5 hours for the mattress to fully take shape.
- 2500 pocket springs for a luxurious feel
- 5 layers for great comfort
- Provides responsiveness and comfort at the same time
- Nice soft feel
- Hypoallergenic cover
- Offers edge to edge support
- Built for everyone
- Memory foam causes sinking effects which some users don’t like
OTTY 2000 Pocket Spring Memory Foam
- AWARD-WINNING HYBRID MATTRESSES – All our products offer ultimate support, outstanding quality, and highly competitive pricing. Once you try your new OTTY Original Luxury Hybrid Mattress you will see just why we are so highly sought after.
- SUPPORTIVE POCKET SPRING TECHNOLOGY – All our mattresses come with up to 2000 Encapsulated 16cm Pocket Springs, which are the longest and most supportive on the UK Bed in a Box Market. The individually encapsulated springs minimise motion transfer to ensure a perfect night’s sleep, every night.s set by the governing body. The advanced technology comes in tiny perforations that allow airflow right through the hybrid mattress where other foams can cause overheating. The cavity space created around the springs also acts like a bellow which aids temperature regulation.
- TEMPERATURE REGULATING AIR FLOW SYSTEM – Our high-quality mattresses use CentiPUR and Europur approved memory foam. The Heat Regulating AirFlow Technology means perforations allow air to circulate through the mattress which aids temperature regulation and prevents overheating at night.
With this bed-in-a-box mattress, you will experience unmatched levels of comfort and support. This mattress comes with 2000 pocket springs that offer cradling support and enables you to move comfortably without troubling your partner. This makes it a great choice for couples who want to enjoy a soft and lively feel.
A unique spec of this mattress that makes it stand out from the competition is the luxurious reflex foam. This foam releases pressure and moulds to adapt your sleeping posture to give you a comfortable night’s sleep.
Also included is the cool blue gel memory foam that does a great job at regulating the body’s temperature. Plus, it features an airflow system that allows air circulation and removes excess heat.
Making it even more appealing is the high-density base that creates a sturdy base for the mattress. Hence, you won’t need to worry about sagging and dips. This also enhances the longevity of the mattress. You will also appreciate the high-strength foam sides that are designed to give side support and increase up to 25 percent sleeping area.
- 2000 spring count for added support
- Washable, hypoallergenic cover
- Excellent temperature control
- Durable with no sagging
- Not the softest mattress in the market
If you are in the market for a soft mattress, this review will help you find one that will give you the perfect night’s sleep.
The best soft mattress will ensure comfort in the neck, lower back, shoulders and hips which will result in proper sleep position. When buying the mattress, take into account factors such as manoeuvrability, support, comfort, breathability, and many more.